Ep. 0128: Foundation of the Permanent Garrison State
Between 1946 and 1953, the cornerstones of a permanent garrison state were laid within the structure of the US government.
Join CJ as he discusses:
- Henry Luce’s 1941 article “The American Century” & the construction of the Pentagon (begun on Sept. 11th, 1941 -the pic above shows the Pentagon under construction, BTW) as harbingers of this change
- George Kennan’s original, much more limited strategy of ‘containment’ towards the USSR
- American intervention in Greece, 1946
- The National Security Act of 1947 (the single most important piece of formal legislation in this process)
- Proof of a revolution within the form: Harry Truman’s sending of American forces into significant combat in 1950 without a declaration of war
- How the Eisenhower Administration tacitly ratified all this into permanence, despite Ike’s occasional statements that indicate his misgivings about the whole thing
The Dangerous History Podcast is covered by a BipCot NoGov license; learn more at BipCot.org
The Dangerous History Podcast is a member of the Dark Myths Podcast Group & LRN.fm’s podcast roster.